Friday, August 9, 2013

God's Own Time and Service

"I am called of God. My authority is above that of the kings of the earth. By revelation I have been selected as a personal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is my Master and He has chosen me to represent Him. To stand in His place, to say and do what He himself would say and do if He personally were ministering to the very people to whom He has sent me. My voice is His voice, and my acts are His acts; my words are His words and my doctrine is His doctrine. My commission is to do what He wants done. To say what He wants said. To be a living modern witness in word and deed of the divinity of His great and marvelous latter-day work (address delivered while serving as president of the Australian Mission, 1961-64)." -Elder Bruce R. McConkie

Last night I learned that my mission papers will soon be resubmitted to the Mission Office! They have or will shortly have the extra information they needed so I will hopefully have my call by September if not even sooner. It's been difficult waiting but over the last several weeks, I've learned a lot about God's time. He isn't going to allow us to do certain things until we're genuinely ready. He wants us to be the most effective missionary/teacher/mother/athlete/etc. we can be. Sometimes the timing seems horrible- you have to wait weeks, months or years to participate in the activities we desire, but in hindsight it is much easier to accept His reasons.

Although I still wish things could have moved forward when I originally planned they would, I realized I'm still going to be able to go out within the time frame I desired and more importantly- I'm still going to go. Nothing has set me back permanently in becoming a full-time missionary. I feel like I am better prepared (although I still have a lot of study to do!) and I will be able to enjoy my service so much more.

While waiting for my call, I've been called as a Relief Society teacher in my YSA ward. To be perfectly honest I was intimidated with the call but as it got closer to my first lesson I was starting to get excited to teach. This Sunday will be my second lesson and I'm still nervous, but it's a good nervous. I'll be teaching from Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Lorenzo Snow, chapter 15: Faithful, Energetic Service in the Kingdom of God.

No joke.
It's kind of perfect, isn't it?

I'm trying to open myself up to opportunities to provide whatever service I can for others. At work I'm trying to do more than just my job- I'm trying to serve my co-workers. Sometimes there's not time in the day to do anything other than what is on my schedule, but whenever I have a spare moment I try to help the others get their rooms cleaned, instruments sterilized for everyone or get notes started for them so they can get through their day with a little less worry. Whenever I am able to something for someone else, I'm happier. No matter how bad the rest of my day goes I can say, "At least I did one thing right!"

While looking through my lesson I found some quotes I wanted to share with you all about service. In 1851, President Snow was serving in Italy. He and others of the Twelve received a request to return to Salt Lake City. He had planned to travel to Malta and from there to India to serve with the missionaries under his direction. God had other plans and President Snow was not able to reach India. While he was temporarily stranded in Malta he decided to go to work and said this,

"I feel that much good will result from the manner in which the Lord may direct the employment of the time now at my command, as I am surrounded by an interesting people, and in a most important field of labour, where a great work will be accomplished, extending to adjacent nations." 
I loved this quote for the sheer confidence President Snow had in the Lord's will and for the humility he speaks with in conjunction to the work he was participating in. Think about it this way- We (as members of the true church of Christ) are ambassadors of Christ. It is our privilege and our DUTY to share the gospel with as many of the human family that we can. How else are we and our brothers and sisters to gain salvation? We must testify that we KNOW that Jesus is the Christ and the only means by which we can gain eternal peace and happiness. We must be worthy of the gift of the Holy Ghost to have him as our constant companion to guide us and inspire us in how to teach/share a lesson or a doctrine so it might touch the hearts of men. We must testify that we know that Christ and our Heavenly Father revealed himself to Joseph Smith, and through Joseph Smith restored the gospel and continues to reveal things to us through our living prophets.

We can't sit back and watch as the world falls apart and not feel anything. Every day that passes that we don't try to help someone in need or find an opportunity to share the truth is a day wasted. Of course there are opportunities beyond the grave for those that didn't have the chance to hear and accept the true gospel, but we need to realize that we will be held accountable for every opportunity that we didn't take advantage of. We are privy to knowledge and doctrine that the rest of the world is not. Let us teach and serve and share what we have so much of and do so with great excitement. Don't be afraid of what the world will say or think of you- God is on our side, especially as missionaries. His work will not fail- therefore if we follow His counsel

                We Cannot Fail.







No comments:

Post a Comment