Sunday, October 27, 2013

Exercise and Recipe Book and my FAREWELL!!

So I've got one and a half weeks left before I enter the MTC, so I'm no longer working and just trying to study and make sure I have everything I need. To help make things easier/ me be more creative with food and exercising when I no longer have access to the internet, I'm putting together a little book.

                                                                                    The materials I'm using are pretty simple:

1" binder (if you have a thinner portfolio, this would probably pack easier)
Sheet protectors
Paper
Printer w/ink
PINTEREST! No joke... I've taking most everything from here except some of the recipes which I got from my mother. You can find all sorts of exercises, stretches, recipes and cleaning tips on my boards and just by searching online. If you already have a routine, type it up and give yourself some options so you don't get bored with the exact same routine every day.



You can make this as pretty or as plain as you want. I've not been in a particularly creative mood and I have no color ink, so this is pretty much it for me. Here is a link to what I've typed up as far as exercises. I'll link to my sources and some of my recipes below. 

These are my main resources for the exercises:
MindBodyGreen- Morning
FitSugar- Before Bed, PMS
Fitness Magazine- overall toning
You Beauty- Back and neck
Behold the Class- Bunion exercises (if you're unfortunate enough to have them or be predisposed)
Fitness Blender- Chest exercises for women

Here you can all of the recipes I'm bringing with me.I tried to keep them simple, but I did e-mail my missionary e-mail some different, slightly more complicated recipes if I ever have the time/supplies to make them.

Also, I gave my farewell talk on Sunday!! It was so nerve-wracking. I've never actually given a talk before. Like... EVER. I tried my best to talk slow... Not sure how well it worked, but whatever! I was able to see so many friends and family- more than I originally planned on. I think that was the greatest part. My dad's side of the family hasn't been super close until the last few years, so it was great to have all of them there.

Here is my talk with a copy down below. You are more than welcome to get inspiration from this, but please don't try to use this as your own.



The Atonement
 In June, 1925 at the MIA Jubilee Conference, Elder Orson F. Whitney recounted a powerful dream he’d had as a young missionary.
 “One night I dreamed … that I was in the Garden of Gethsemane, a witness of the Savior’s agony. … I stood behind a tree in the foreground. … Jesus, with Peter, James, and John, came through a little wicket gate at my right. Leaving the three Apostles there, after telling them to kneel and pray, He passed over to the other side, where He also knelt and prayed … : ‘Oh my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless not as I will but as Thou wilt.’
 “As He prayed the tears streamed down His face, which was [turned] toward me. I was so moved at the sight that I wept also, out of pure sympathy with His great sorrow. My whole heart went out to Him. I loved Him with all my soul and longed to be with Him as I longed for nothing else.
 “Presently He arose and walked to where those Apostles were kneeling—fast asleep! He shook them gently, awoke them, and in a tone of tender reproach, untinctured by the least show of anger or scolding, asked them if they could not watch with Him one hour. …
 “Returning to His place, He prayed again and then went back and found them again sleeping. Again He awoke them, admonished them, and returned and prayed as before. Three times this happened, until I was perfectly familiar with His appearance—face, form, and movements. He was of noble stature and of majestic mien … the very God that He was and is, yet as meek and lowly as a little child.
“All at once the circumstance seemed to change. … Instead of before, it was after the Crucifixion, and the Savior, with those three Apostles, now stood together in a group at my left. They were about to depart and ascend into heaven. I could endure it no longer. I ran from behind the tree, fell at His feet, clasped Him around the knees, and begged Him to take me with Him.
“I shall never forget the kind and gentle manner in which He stooped and raised me up and embraced me. It was so vivid, so real that I felt the very warmth of His bosom against which I rested. Then He said: ‘No, my son; these have finished their work, and they may go with me; but you must stay and finish yours.’ Still I clung to Him. Gazing up into His face—for He was taller than I—I besought Him most earnestly: ‘Well, promise me that I will come to You at the last.’ He smiled sweetly and tenderly and replied: ‘That will depend entirely upon yourself.’ I awoke with a sob in my throat, and it was morning.”1
 Atonement means: to reconcile man to God. In further explanation, it is suffering the penalty for sin which removes the effects of sin from the repentant soul and allows him to be reconciled to God.
 We know that Christ willingly suffered and atoned for our sins to provide a means by which we could return to His presence and that of our Heavenly Father. It is also the means by which all mankind will be resurrected with perfected bodies, the repentant can gain forgiveness for their transgressions and ultimately so we can gain eternal life and exaltation.
 This atonement is infinite in nature- it applies not only to this life, but for time and all eternity. There is no end. Russell M. Nelson (Ensign November 1996) explained, “His Atonement is infinite—without an end. It was also infinite in that all humankind would be saved from never-ending death. It was infinite in terms of His immense suffering. It was infinite in time, putting an end to the preceding prototype of animal sacrifice. It was infinite in scope—it was to be done once for all. And the mercy of the Atonement extends not only to an infinite number of people, but also to an infinite number of worlds created by Him.  It was infinite beyond any human scale of measurement or mortal comprehension.”
 By suffering agonizing pain in the Garden of Gethsemane and upon the cross, Christ fulfilled the Law of Moses. Throughout his life, Christ followed the will of the Father. He “continued from grace to grace, until he received a fullness;” (D&C 93:13) and lived a perfect life, never giving in to temptation.
 We have the potential, as heirs to the Kingdom of God, to live in a state of eternal joy and to receive all that the Father would give us if we but repent. As humans, we are fallen in nature. It was inevitable that we would make mistakes, some large and some small. That is why our Heavenly Father provided the Plan of Redemption. As we allow that plan to work in our lives- as we apply the atonement- God’s glory increases and our lives are blessed beyond measure.
 The Church emphasizes the teaching of repentance and the atonement because it is absolutely vital to our salvation. But the topic, when researched and not fully understood, can seem intimidating and on occasion harsh. It is easy to get discouraged when you come to the realization of how finite our lives are, and how eternal the consequences can be.
“Remember repentance isn’t punishment. It is the hope-filled path to a more glorious future.” Richard G. Scott (General Conference October 2013)
The Book of Mormon is full of stories and examples of the atonement taking place in the lives of God’s children. We’re all familiar with the story of Alma and the sons of Mosiah who sought to destroy the Church of Christ. They did everything in their power to confound the followers of Christ and lead them away into darkness. But because they were brought to the knowledge of the truth through the prayers of family and friends, they humbled themselves and were forgiven through the atonement of Christ and became some of the strongest advocates of Christ and his Church.
While racked with the torment of sin, Alma said: “Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
 “And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
“And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!
“Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy. …” (Alma 36: 18-21)
Chapters 39-42 of Alma are comprised entirely of Alma speaking to his son, Corianton. While he was ministering to the Zoramites, Corianton was arrogant and boastful and he forsook the ministry and went after the harlot, Isabel. He committed the most abominable of sins, save the shedding of innocent blood- he broke the law of chastity. Because of this severe transgression, the gospel was kept from the Zoramites and Corianton was all but lost.
 Alma, knowing from experience the torment of sin and that there was no other way, he bluntly chastised his son and explained the dire situation in which his immortal soul had been placed. Out of love, Alma taught his son about transgressing the law, Christ’s coming, the plan of salvation and necessity of death, and the need for law, mercy and justice. He also taught that we will be our own judges.
 Alma 41:4 and 6-7 state: “And if their works are evil they shall be restored unto them for evil. Therefore, all things shall be restored to their proper order, every thing to its natural frame—mortality raised to immortality, corruption to incorruption—raised to endless happiness to inherit the kingdom of God, or to endless misery to inherit the kingdom of the devil, the one on one hand, the other on the other—
 … If he hath repented of his sins, and desired righteousness until the end of his days, even so he shall be rewarded unto righteousness.
 “These are they that are redeemed of the Lord; yeah, these are they that are taken out, that are delivered from endlessness night of darkness; and thus they stand or fall; for behold, they are their own judges, whether to do good or do evil.”
 At the last day our judgement will be final. For this reason, God gave us a law.
“But there is a law given, and a punishment affixed, and a repentance granted; which repentance, mercy claimeth; otherwise, justice claimeth the creature and executeth the law, and the law inflicteth the punishment; if not so, the works of justice would be destroyed, and God would cease to be God.
“But God ceaseth not to be God, and mercy claimeth the penitent and mercy cometh because of the atonement; and the atonement bringeth to pass the resurrection of the dead; and the resurrection of the dead bringeth back men into the presence of God: and thus they are restored into his presence, to be judged according to their works, according to the law of justice.” (Alma 42:22- 23)
This law may be strict, but it is truly forgiving to the penitent. When we offer up our sins to God and accept the atonement of Christ, we are promised peace and blessings and glory in the hereafter, which glory is impossible to even begin to comprehend.
 But often it is difficult to accept the truth of these things when we allow ourselves to be dragged down and degraded by the adversary. He is expert in reminding us of our faults, weaknesses and transgressions- even those which we have fully repented for. He wants nothing more than for us to be as miserable as him. For those of you who doubt your ability to be forgiven and exalted at the last day, believe in these words.
“Then, we say to you who have repented of your sins, who have been buried with Christ in baptism, who have been raised from the liquid grave to newness of life, born of the water and of the Spirit, and who have been made the children of the Father, heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus Christ—we say to you, if you will observe the laws of God, and cease to do evil, cease to be obscene, cease to be immoral, sexually or otherwise, cease to be profane, cease to be infidel, and have faith in God, believe in the truth and receive it, and be honest before God and man, that you will be set up on high, and God will put you at the head, just as sure as you observe these commandments. Whoso will keep the commandments of God, no matter whether it be you or any other people, they will rise and not fall, they will lead and not follow, they will go upward and not downward. God will exalt them and magnify them before the nations of the earth, and he will set the seal of his approval upon them, will name them as his own.”- President Joseph F. Smith (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith, (2011), 59–66)
 Richard G. Scott (Jesus Christ, Our Redeemer, Ensign, May 1997) said, “The atonement will not only help us overcome our transgressions and mistakes, but in his time, it will resolve all inequities of life.”
 If you’ve ever been in the pit of despair whether by your own actions or the actions of others- that’s covered. If you’re suffering from the loss of a loved one, the atonement covers that. Every scrape, every bruise, every sorrow and pain whether emotional or physical, every malady we could ever experience in this world is covered by the Atonement.
 Christ has felt all of it. He knows exactly what you’re going through better than any person on this earth ever could. There is not one moment of your life, good or bad, that he is unaware of. He is anxiously waiting, arms outstretched, for us to come to him- to find peace and healing in his love, in his mercy and in his atonement.
 Brothers and Sisters, please remember the words of Elder Holland (The Laborers in the Vineyard April 2012), “However late you think you are, however many chances you think you have missed, however many mistakes you feel you have made or talents you think you don’t have, or however far from home and family and God you feel you have traveled, I testify that you have not traveled beyond the reach of divine love. It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ’s Atonement shines.” In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.








No comments:

Post a Comment